A wiccan second-degree initiation ritual consists of a sequence of several components.
The sequence of components is similar, but not identical,
between Gardnerian Wicca and Alexandrian Wicca.
That sequence of components, in Gardnerian Wicca, is as follows:
- forming the circle
- calling the mighty ones
- binding the postulant
- BDSM ass-whipping of everyone involved, including the rope-bound postulant
- the initial proclamation
- the forced dance-run
- the BDSM nude, rope-bound, forcibly bent-over ass-whipping
- the craft-naming, done while in the same BDSM position
- the oath, made while in the same BDSM position
- the power-transfer, done while in the same BDSM position
- partial unbinding, and the triple-annointing
- final unbinding, and the demonstrated usage of eight ritual objects
- the BDSM "revenge" rope-bound ass-whipping onto the initiator; the initiator is unbound afterward
- the "legend of the goddess" is narrated, with part of it being either narrated or acted-out
- the concluding proclamation
To people who are not familiar with Gardnerian or Alexandrian Wicca,
the BDSM steps must seem like a parody that was added by a vandal, but it isn't.
Gerald Gardner enjoyed BDSM, and incorporated it into all three of the initiation rituals that he wrote.
Gerald Gardner's desire to attract BDSM partners was a large part of his motivation in creating and promoting Gardnerian Wicca.
The "legend of the goddess" was not created and added to the ritual until the mid 1950s.
It was added so as to imitate the ancient initiatory mystery religions.
In Alexandrian Wicca, unlike in Gardnerian Wicca, the main initiator is called "the hierophant",
in imitation of the Golden Dawn, instead of "the magus".
The "hierophant" title does not replace a person's title "magus" in general, but rather,
it serves as an additional title, which applies specificly to the ritual.
The biggest change in the Alexandrian version of this ritual, compared to the Gardnerian version upon which it is based,
is that the postulant is blindfolded throughout the majority of the ritual, like in the first-degree initiation ritual.
In Alexandrian Wicca, the postulant also has an additional binding, around their knees.
Like in the Alexandrian first-degree initiation ritual, the postulant is left blindfolded during the triple-annointing.
Thus, in Alexandrian Wicca, the postulant is more impaired in the second-degree ritual relative to the first-degree ritual,
whereas in Gardnerian Wicca, the postulant is less impaired in the second-degree ritual relative to the first-degree ritual.
In Alexandrian Wicca, there is a name-prodding step that occurs after the craft-naming step.
In the name-prodding step, the postulant, who is still tied-up and blindfolded in the BDSM position,
is successively poked by each of the other members of the coven, who each ask "what's your name?",
to which the postulant must answer, each time, with their new craft name.
In Alexandrian Wicca, the final two components of the ritual are switched, such that the concluding proclamation
occurs before the "legend of the goddess".